Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that we can’t see, smell or taste.
CO is produced from anything that burns a carbon-based fuel (gasoline, propane, charcoal, oil, etc.) such as engines, gas generators, cooking ranges, heaters. CO acts a lot like air. It doesn’t rise or fall but spreads evenly throughout an enclosed space.
Carbon monoxide is acutely toxic because it cripples the ability of the body’s blood to absorb and transfer oxygen to body cells, leading to asphyxiation or suffocation. Prolonged exposure to low concentrations or very short exposure to high concentrations can lead to death.
Carbon monoxide poisoning should be taken very seriously.
Do not confuse these symptoms as signs of seasickness or intoxication:
Help protect yourself and others from CO poisoning: