If you have a fire on board, make sure everyone is wearing a lifejacket and use extinguishers to control the fire.
Follow the procedures below if there is a small fire:
- Stop the engine if it is safe to do so under the weather conditions;
- Position your boat so that the wind will blow the fire away from your boat;
- Pull the pin out of the extinguisher and squeeze the two levers together;
- Aim the extinguisher at the base of the flames from six feet away; and
- Sweep the discharge nozzle from side to side, continuing for a few seconds after the flames are completely out.