Engine Noise Levels
All boat operators are responsible for their boat’s noise.
To prevent excessive or unusual noise, no person shall operate a power-driven vessel other than a stock (unmodified) outboard engine, within five nautical miles (9.26 km) of shore unless it is equipped with a muffler system that is in good working order.
This restriction does not apply if the boat:
- Was built or constructed before 1960;
- Is used in a formal race or training exercise;
- Directs the exhaust gases under water through the propeller hub or below the cavitation plate;
- Is propelled by gas turbines or by an aircraft-type propeller operating in air; or
- Is operated at five or more nautical miles (9.26 km) from shore.